The IAFF is launching a new feature on its social networks that will have your stomachs going “mmmmm” good.
Every Tuesday, we’ll post recipes on our social networks for your local to enjoy.
Here are two recipes selected from the Fire House Chef web site and the IAFF Menu Planner that will get your mouth watering.
Elfio's Special Shrimp and Pasta
• 1 stick of butter
• 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
• 1 dozen fresh mushrooms, sliced
• 1 pound cooked peeled shrimp
• 1 cup of freshly grated Romano cheese
• 1 pound of linguini, vermicelli or angel hair pasta
In a wok, melt the stick of butter, then add the garlic, mushrooms and shrimp, turn down and let it simmer slowly while the pasta is cooking.
• After draining the pasta, add the Romano cheese, shrimp, garlic and mushrooms and toss.
• This will serve four people.
Recipe by Firefighter: Ron Ayotte aka Lieutenant Gonzo - Marlborough Fire Department, Marlborough, MA
From IAFF’s Menu Planner
Whipped Roasted Root Veggies
• 2 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 3 large)
• 3 medium parsnips, peeled and sliced
• ½ c chopped dried apricots
• 1 c apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
• 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
• ½ tsp salt
• ⅛ tsp freshly ground pepper
• Place the sweet potatoes, parsnips and apricots in a large saucepan; cover with water and bring to a boil.
• Reduce heat and cook covered for 10-15 minutes or until tender
While vegetables are cooking, put apple cider in small sauce pan and cook to reduce to ¼ cup.
• Drain vegetable mixture and cool slightly.
• Place into food processor, add the butter, salt, pepper and reduced cider.
• Pulse to blend and chop