Here are two recipes selected from the Firehouse Chef web site and the IAFF Menu Planner that will make you say ‘mmmm good.’
From the Firehouse Chef
Southern Style Fried Fish Fish Fillets (crappie,bass,walleye,etc.)
• Yellow Corn Meal Flour Cooking Oil (canola, corn, etc,)
• Salt and Pepper
• Milk or half and half
• Thaw fillets in water. Be sure to keep them cold after thawing begins.
• Put 1 tbsp. of salt in water with thawed fish and turn them so they will all be exposed to the salt water.
• Leave them in the salt solution for about 10 min.
• Put enough oil in pan, pot, or deep fat fryer to completely submerge fillets
• Heat oil until it smokes lightly. Keep lid very handy in case it ignites.
• Keep fire extinguisher nearby as well. BE CAREFUL NOT TO SPLATTER GREASE OUT OF CONTAINER.
• Drain salt water from fish and replace with milk or mixture of milk and half and half.
• Mix 1 heaping tbsp. of flour with a whole container of yellow corn meal. The ratio is about 25 to 1.
• Take fillets, one at a time, out of milk and let drip for just a second or two.
• Place them in the cornmeal and roll them around until covered.! You may wish to salt and pepper them to taste at this point. Remember they have some salt already in the flesh.
• Place them in hot oil immediately. If the oil is hot enough they will be lightly browned in about two to three minutes.
• Cook several fillets at a time, just so they don't crowd each other and pin some of them to the bottom of pan.
• When golden brown, take them out of oil with tongs and place them on several layers of paper towels. The paper towels will wick away a lot more oil than just letting the drain on a screen.
• Serve with hushpuppies, cole slaw, baked beans, potato salad, or whatever else you like. Tartar sauce, especially home made is good on them. Obviously you must be careful when cooking in this manner and take the precautions I advised.
Recipe by Firefighter: Lt. Randy Britton - Lawton Fire Department Lawton, Oklahoma
From IAFF Menu Planner
PASTA SALAD w/CREAMY ITALIAN DRESSING
• 1 cup fat-free salad dressing (i.e. Miracle Whip)
• 1 tsp. dried basil leaves
• 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves
• ¼ tsp. garlic powder
• ¼ tsp. black pepper
• 2 cups (5 oz.) mini pasta (rotini or bow tie pasta) cooked and drained
• 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and sliced
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1 cup yellow or red pepper, cut into strips
• ¾ cup Creamy Italian Dressing
• Mix dressing ingredients in an airtight container and refrigerate for several hours to let flavors blend. Dressing will keep for up to 2 weeks in refrigerator.
• Toss together the pasta, cucumber, tomatoes, and pepper strips.
• Dress with ¾ cup of the Creamy Italian Dressing
• Refrigerate for ½-1 hour before serving.