Here are two soup recipes selected from the Firehouse Chef web site and the IAFF Menu Planner that will make you say ‘mmmm good.’
From the Firehouse Chef
• 1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
• 1/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
• 1 green onion, chopped (about 2 Tb)
• Generous dash pepper
• 3 cups stiff, seasoned mashed potatoes
• In 1 1/2-quart casserole, combine soup, sour cream, onion and pepper. Stir in potatoes.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot.
• Makes about 4 cups or 8 servings.
• VARIATION: In small bowl, combine 1 T. melted margarine or butter, 2 T. dry bread crumbs and 1/4 t. paprika.
• Sprinkle over potato mixture before baking.
• VARIATION: In 2-quart saucepan, combine soup, sour cream, onion and pepper. Stir in potatoes. Over low heat on stovetop, heat through, stirring occasionally.
Recipe by Firefighter: Tucker W. Nettles - Georgetown County EMS, Georgetown, SC From
IAFF Menu Planner
CRAB AND CORN CHOWDER
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
• 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
• 2 celery ribs, diced • 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
• 1 small red bell pepper, diced
• 1 bay leaf, whole
• 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
• 1 tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning
• 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
• 2 c. fat-free low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
• 1 qt. 1% milk
• 3 c. white sweet corn kernels, fresh or frozen (preferably fresh)
• 8 oz. fresh lump blue crab meat
• Heat olive oil and butter in Dutch oven over moderate heat until butter melts.
• Add the vegetables one at a time as you chop them going down the list (very important to go in order).
• Add bay leaf, pepper and Old Bay. Stir, cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
• Add flour, stirring constantly to coat and dissolve, about 2 minutes.
• Add broth, stir to combine, and remove any lumps.
• Add milk and stir.
•Bring up to a gentle bubble, add corn and crab. Let cook for about 10 minutes, then enjoy!