As IAFF Locals are doing all they can to raise breast cancer awareness this month in their communities, fire fighters should also be mindful to protect their identities online.
October is also Cyber Security Awareness Month.
All Americans are being encouraged to participate in safe online practices. The Department of Homeland Security is encouraging businesses and individuals to keep their identities and personal information safe online by doing the following:
- Set strong passwords – never share them with anyone
- Keep your operating system, browser and other software optimized by installing the necessary updates
- If you have children, talk to them about being safe on the Internet
- Limit the amount of personal information you put online and use privacy settings to avoid sharing information widely
- Be cautious about what you receive or read online
Fire fighters should also continue to use caution when posting things to social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
The laws are still not clearly defined and some employees are finding themselves in embarrassing situations where they are being disciplined, have to resign or worst yet being fired for their web postings.