Community outreach campaigns are an effective tool for promoting public safety, and can help foster relationships with city leaders, local businesses, the media and civic groups. The IAFF encourages affiliates to use these kinds of programs to improve their public image and influence how they are perceived by decision makers and the public.
To assist you in these efforts, the IAFF has prepared a sample press release and infographics that can be customized to send to your local media and to citizens about your efforts to promote cooking safety on Thanksgiving.
Download the infographics.
Thanksgiving_Safety_Sample_Release.docx Download the press release (Word Doc.)
Send the press release (and infographic) to the media as soon as possible. Then, be sure to contact reporters to let them know you are available to discuss tips for ensuring a safe and happy Thanksgiving.
Also, use the suggested Tweets below:
• Did you know that #cooking leads to the most home fires on #Thanksgiving Day? #BeCareful
• A #cooking fire is three times more likely to happen on #Thanksgiving Day than any other day of the year! #BeCareful
• Peak #cooking hours for #Thanksgiving are between noon and 4:00 pm. #ItsTurkeyTime
• Stay alert while cooking this #Thanksgiving to avoid #homefires
• @RedCross says that home fires are the most common #disaster in the nation! #StayAlert
• Make sure you #PayAttention to all cooking materials and don't leave anything flammable near a heat source! #BeAlert
• @IAFFnewsdesk urges you to call 9-1-1 if you experience a #cooking fire and your local #firefighters will be there ASAP
• @IAFFnewsdesk and professional #firefighters and #paramedics wish you a very happy and safe #Thanksgiving
• Your local #firefighters advise you to cook with #caution and #PayAttention in the kitchen
• Misusing equipment in the kitchen can very quickly lead to a #HomeFire, so make sure you #StayAlert
The release and graphic can also be used for posts on social media.
In the coming months, the IAFF will continue to provide more ideas and materials to use in community outreach efforts.