Logout Login | Contact Us
 

Protecting Yourself From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Tragic news coming out of Dallas, TX over the weekend with reports of four people (including two children) were found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning. Known as the silent killer because you can’t see it or smell it, carbon monoxide is the number-one cause of poisoning deaths in the world.

Here are some tips your IAFF local can share to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning from happening in your community. #IAFFSAFETYTIPS

• Encourage your community to have carbon monoxide detectors in the home outside all sleeping areas
• Appliances burning fuel such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces and wood stoves should have regular maintenance and the ventilation should be checked regularly
• Don’t leave cars running in the garage with doors closed

Fire fighters and paramedics are at risk of exposure to carbon monoxide poisoning every day. Exposure to carbon monoxide can increase the risk of heart attack and strokes. Fire fighters should take care and do the following to protect their safety :

• Follow your fire department’s standard operating guidelines
• Take refresher trainings and courses on potential deadly gases
• Follow the proper decontamination process. Wash turn-out gear, boots, helmets, gloves and hood after each fire

Comments are closed

© 2015 - IAFF